WhatsApp call button

FAQ's on Central Heating Repairs

We've answered all of your frequently asked questions about central heating repairs so you know what to do and who to call if you ever need to repair your central heating system. 

What is a central heating survey?

If you're unsure what's wrong with your central heating system, a central heating survey could be your best option. 

We'll take a look at your system and advise you of any repairs that need to be made. 

Who can fix my central heating system?

Unless it's concerned with just your radiators, whoever fixes your central heating system must be Gas Safe registered.


Only Gas Safe registered engineers are legally allowed to work on gas appliances. And not only is it illegal for a non-Gas Safe engineer to work on your gas appliances, but it is also extremely unsafe.

Our advice is to hire a Gas Safe registered engineer in case they need to look at more than just the radiators.

Will I need to replace my entire central heating system if a part of it is broken?

No, in most cases, if a part of it is broken, like your boiler for example, you won't need to replace the thermostat, pipework and radiators etc, you'll just need to replace the broken part. 

The only time where you might want to consider replacing your central heating system is if it's inefficient and you've had the same one for the last 15+ years, so it's prone to breakage and is costing you money on your heating bills.

How do I bleed a radiator?

Bleeding a radiator is super simple. 

Once you've identified which radiators need to be bled, switched off the heating and prepared the area (place an old towel below the valve), grab your bleed key (purchasable from most DIY stores) and open up the valve by turning the valve anti-clockwise (the valve is usually found at the top of the radiator and usually looks like a round hole with a square inside).

You'll hear air escaping from the radiator. 

Usually, a quarter to half a turn will be enough, (don't open the valve fully) but turn it enough so all of the air has escaped. 

Once you're down, turn the valve clockwise and reseal it!

Turn your central heating back on and check to see if it's warmer than what it was... it should be! 

What if bleeding my radiator doesn't work?

If bleeding your radiator hasn't helped fix your central heating system, you might want to consider a powerflush. 

Powerflushing is where water and other cleansing and immobilising agents are pushed through your central heating system at force in an attempt to dislodge and remove any debris that's blocking your pipes. 

Powerflushing helps most radiators work almost as new again and is a very efficient way of repairing your central heating system. 

Looking for an engineer to repair your central heating system in Wellingborough?

If you'd like a Gas Safe registered engineer to come out and repair your central heating system, get in touch with us at Fletchers Heating & Plumbing Ltd. 

Call us on 07919 156562 or send us a message using our contact form